Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Entry #2 - Building Tristar's Panzer IV Ausf. C


Oh, idler wheel, the bane of my existence.  This issue was the final straw that forced me to put the model back on the shelf for an extended amount of time.  Basically, a time out for the model.  Now I am back at it, I decided to approach the problem differently.  



The problem is a huge gap (see white area) when the two sides are glued together.  My research indicates this a solid piece. See below (I believe this is a Ausf. D idler wheel, only real difference is outside ring as pointed out by the arrows). 


When I tried to fill the gap with putty or super glue it made it difficult to sand and any over sanding flattened the edge.  Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!  

So, this time around I sanded inside of hubs flat.  Then cut a very small piece of round plastic rod and glued it to one side of the hub.  I lightly sand the "spacer", then test fit with the other side of the wheel until the ribs touched.

I had to be careful gluing the two sides together and would check the alignment as I went along.  After the glue dried, I did some light sanding on the hub and ribs.  The wheel came out looking pretty good.  Alot of work to make it look like one solid piece.   

No comments:

Post a Comment