Monday, March 24, 2008

Easy detailing - 1/48 Tamiya Tiger

I am in the process of almost completing my second 1/48 Tamiya Tiger. Below is my first kit built completely OOB. The Tamiya is a good kit right out of the box but there are some minor additions that can be made to improve the overall look. Since I have several Tamiya kits in my stash I decided to practice techniques and detailing. Below are easy additions to improve the overall look but it is not by any means an extensive list. I also used the Lion Roar update set (pretty cheap and includes an aluminum barrel)

The most import tip – remember to paint the interior back. I have seen several models that are well down but you can see through the screens. The second biggest tip is to add the screens. A Tiger Tank does not look right unless it screens – an update set can be picked up pretty cheap.

Below is the track guide provided by Tamiya. It is works very well and I recommend that you glue as much track together prior to painting. The sections that cannot be glued together leave on the spruce to paint and weather.

The exhaust is the part that really needs to be altered. First, glue some stock card to cover up the bottom – cut a circle alittle bigger than the area, use some liquid glue to melt the seam, allow it to dry then sand to fit (sorry about the fuzzy pic).

Next this top portion – for some reason Tamiya made this a sold piece and it looks horrible. I cut several .010 round stock pieces, glued them in and trimmed to fit. As you see it looks significantly better.

Next are the handles. Tamiya just has blocks where the handles should be. This is real easy addition– I used 0.3 mm copper round for the handles. Cut the off the blocks, sand down flat, drill a couple of holes, bend the copper round wire with pliers and glue. Real easy and looks great.


I also added the wire for the front lights. This was kinda tough to get the angles correct and several tries to get it right.

On the storage bin, you will also need to cover up the hole in the bottom with card stock. Use the same method as the exhaust.

also painted a thin of coat of Mr. Surfacer over the surfaces to give a realistic look of German steel plate.
 
 

Below are various pics to show additional details that were added. All bolts were made from round stock cut real small.


Like I said these are easy tips to improve the looks of a Tamiya Tiger that anyone can do with a minimal amount of time. If I can do it then anyone can do it.

2 comments:

  1. I\'m definitely going to be pulling this up when I finally get around to tackling that 1/48 Tiger I\'ve got on the shelf. I didn\'t want to ask over on the Modeling Madness forums, but where can you snag the Lions Roar update set? Do online retailers like Squadron or Sprue Brothers stock it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks.  You will like building it - it is fast kit to put together.  As for the Lion Roar set, I originally got it from Great Models.  But they seem not to sell it anymore, which is a shame.  I believe it ony cost $12 - you got the barrel, screens, skirts, etc.  It was a good deal. I am building this one for upcoming Omaha contest - maybe this time I will actually finish a model in advance instead of hurrying to get it done.

    ReplyDelete