Monday, September 28, 2015

Entry #35 - Building Tristar's Panzer IV Ausf. C

The checklist is shirking and I am just about to the painting stage.  Yeah!  The last "big" project is the turret bin.  Since the Ausf. C did not come standard with the bin I had to steal one from my Dragon Ausf. E kit.  However, the Germans attached the bin differently on the Ausf. C (and D) version, so some work is needed to get it to fit.

Below is how it looks stock and it will just not work (note, if you have a Dragon Ausf. D that you are willing to sacrifice, then this is already done for you).


The only area that needs to be worked is the top part on the bin that touches the turret.  In order to make sure I kept my shape I designed a highly specialized tool (see below).


I only had to sanded the middle area until it fit correctly.  Below shows how much I to take out in order to get it to work.  Also notice that hardly any of the sides were sanaded.


I then added some plastic sheet to the inside portion.


Lastly, I installed the PE latches.  Part 1 is done and now I need to work on the holders which need to be custom built (again, Dragon Ausf. D kits supplies this part also).

No comments:

Post a Comment