Monday, July 6, 2015

Entry #16 - Building Tristar's Panzer IV Ausf. C

Before I can place the PE fenders the upper hull needs to be assembled and attached.  To begin, I had to remove some of the detail on each of the side plates.  This parts will be replaced later with Eduard's detail set #35863.

I placed the front armor piece first.  Then the two side armor sections.  The fit wasn't the best so I glue a small area, let it dry and slowly work from back to front in order to get the fit right.      


I was not happy about the look of the joint below.  It was too far back and not sitting in between the two plates.  So I sanded off the weld, then placed a small round rod in the actual joint.  With my trusty hobby knife I made numerous 45 degree cuts down the length of the weld.  Be careful not to score the area around the weld.  Once satisfied, I would use light amount of Tamiya Extra Thin Cement to melt the plastic to give that weld look.  Lastly, after the glue dried I lightly sanded the area.


I also added weld detail along the edges of top section of the upper hull. 


This is how the weld looks when completed. 



No comments:

Post a Comment