Sunday, May 18, 2008

Omacon 2008 Show Report

I just got home from attending this year’s Omacon Model Show, which also happened to be the Regionals. It was a two-day event, Friday, May 16, and Saturday, May 17, 2008 in Omaha, NE (my old stomping ground). It was a great event and location is excellent. It was held in the Mid-America Center on the border of Nebraska and Iowa.

There were the typical vendors – Sprue Brothers, Wings-n-Tread, CRM and several individuals selling their personal stash. I was able to pick up the new Tasca M4A1 Sherman (Late Production) for $55 and a Roden Sopwith 1B1 French Bomber for $10.

I also won several interesting items in the Raffle - a Trumpeter T-54A, T-53 and a Dragon T-34/85. Also won a Tamiya Wildcat and a Revell F-18E Super Hornet. Not bad for $20.

There were many great models at the show (I took over 300 pictures and still missed a few). There were a lot of armor models and the competition was real tough among the AFV. I believe there were more armor models than aircraft models. Surprisingly there not many Autos – maybe 6 to 7 in all.

Another great activity was the Make-n-Take. Our friend’s son and daughter both built cars that they were still playing with the next day.

The awards ceremony went off without a hitch and I was fortunate that 4 of my 5 models won awards. My Sherman tank didn’t win in it’s category, the Fokker DR. I won 1st place in the larger scale Bi-plane / Tri-plane category, my 1/72 Corsair won 3rd place, 1/48 BF-109 won 1st place in the 1/48 German plane category and my 1/48 Tiger I won 1st place in the 1/48 scale Tiger category (they split off all the Tigers).

My daughter won 1st place in the other junior category with her Gundam Mech. Our friend’s son won 1st place with his airplane and 1st place with his auto in the respective categories. He is already planning what models he wants to build for the next show. It is nice to see a 7 year old get excited about building models.

Overall, this is my 2nd time going to Omacon and have really enjoyed myself both times. It is held at a nice venue, the people are friendly and I plan returning next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment